how to use an ellipsis correctly

Melissa, SLC Writing Tutor
What are all the ways I can use an ellipsis (...) correctly?

Sometimes I see people use 4 dots in the ellipsis (....). What does this indicate in text?

Re: how to use an ellipsis correctly

seda, slc tutor
Is it any possible that the 4-dot-ellipsis is just the combination of the 3-dot-ellipsis and a period? however, in this case, I think that there should be a space between the 3 dots and the one dot - "... .".

In general, as far as I have observed people put ellipsis when they omit words, phrases or a sentence for the text they quote from. Also, I did some online research and according to the information I found ellipsis is also used to indicate a pause in speech, an unfinished thought, or, at the end of a sentence when the intent is silence. Additionally, when placed at the beginning of a sentence, the ellipsis can inspire a melancholic tone.

Also, MLA requires to have spaces between the dots of the 3-dot-ellipsis - ". . . ", whereas APA does not -
"...".

All in all, ellipsis usage still strikes as tricky for me.