Style

Michael, SLC Tutor
I was taught that my supporting paragraphs should always start with a topic sentence that relates to my thesis, and then provide supporting sentences that demonstrate or explain my topic sentence. However, I have been reading journal articles for my research, and have noticed that professional scholars often do not write this way, but use a more stylized approach to their topics. Is it okay for me to do this, and if so, are their stylistic alternatives to the traditional model that you would recommend?

Re: Style

Kevin, SLC Writing Tutor
The tricky thing with writing is that once it is mastered, its rules quickly are broken. As long as you're ideas come across clearly, the style is not incredibly important. Often times tweaking grammar rules can help to emphasize key points in your writing. If you can defend why you chose a specific oddity or incorrect method of grammar, then it can be argued that its ok. However, I would highly recommend avoiding this since professional writers have years of experience and you likely don't.

If all less fails, mimic their style a little bit. I do not mean plagiarize. Instead, see some of the ways these authors emphasize a point and maybe apply that same style.