Research Paper

Michael, SLC Tutor
I'm writing a paper in which I have to summarize the views of three different authors and then describe what they have in common or contrast their views. How do I create transitions between each summary of an author when they are all so different, and how do I make a natural transition into my comparison/contrasting of their views?

Re: Research Paper

Julia, SLC Writing Tutor
I would first give brief summaries of each of the authors' views and then organize my essay talking at first how those authors' views relate and are similar to one another and then focus on their differences. Using transitional phrases such as "similarly, in the same manner, in additon, not only...but also" etc. are great to use while discussing similarities. For contrasting, I would recommend transitions like "however, in contrast, unlike, on the contrary", etc. Overall,  using these transitions or transitional sentences will help the reader to follow your argument and better understand the key points you are trying to make. Also, at the beginning of each paragraph try to use similar phrases/terms throughout the entire essay so that the reader can easily relate one idea to the other and be able to compare them.