Introduction paragraphs

Melissa, SLCTutor
Is it okay to put quotations in the introduction paragraph? If so, what's the most effective way to do this?

Re: Introduction paragraphs

Julia, SLC Writing Tutor
I think it is ok to introduce a quote in an introductory paragraph if it contains statistics/data related to the argument you are going to make. For example, if you are writing on how media influences the "self" perception among young adults, you can include statistics on how many teenagers a year decide to do plastic surgery due to the media's negative effect on their confidence level. I think this would be an effecrive way to convince the reader that this is a serious issue that needs to be addressed.