How do I organize an essay that is too long for 5 paragraphs

How do I organize an essay that is too long for 5 paragraphs

Kevin, SLC Writing Tutor
I was always taught that essays should have the usual setup of
Intro
Body
Body
Body
Conclusion

But what if my essay is longer? How can I set up an essay with many more paragraphs and still keep it organized?

Re: How do I organize an essay that is too long for 5 paragraphs

Julia, SLC Writing Tutor
It's ok to have more than one paragraph per idea or per sub-topic of the essay. You can use transitional statements/phrases that help connect the ideas from one paragraph to the next. Also keep paragraphs that are similar in idea close in the sequence of paragraphs.

So for example, let's say you're writing an essay on alcoholism:
1. Intro- What is alcoholism and what your paper wants to show or prove about alcoholism.
(Now let's say there are 5 types of alcoholics and you want to talk about each in detail:)
2. Body- type 1
3. Body- type 2
4. Body- type 3
5. Body- type 4
6. Body- type 5
7. Body- Causes of alcoholism in general
8. Body- Hereditary causes of alcoholism
9. Body- Alcoholism prevention
10. Conclusion